Sunday, September 9, 2012

www.AuntsInTown.com

    A couple weeks ago now 2 of my aunts stopped in Colorado on their way around the country in 2 months. They had already been on the road for 6 weeks or so and had spent time with Dana and her family and my Aunt & Uncle and Tammy and Kevin and their families in British Columbia. The Majority of their trip however was spent in the USA.

They arrived Friday evening and we took them around the area to see where we live and we ate at Stone Creek Cafe for dinner. After dinner we settled back into our 1 bedroom apartment with 4 people ready to live together for the next 10 days!

Day 2:
Saturday morning I had an interview at Joann Fabric's where I was hired immediately and therefore since I didn't know what my schedule would be like the rest of the week and we knew we wanted to go to Pikes Peak we hurried home, reserved our spot on the COG and took off in the Colorado Springs area - we got there with time to spare, and Bessie was looking for scrapbooking stuff for their trip so we went to Archivers and since we still had time before heading up the famous 14er...... we went to:



I of course took them to my favourite spot in Garden of God's and we had samples of amazing fudge at their visitor center too.  (Snowy Road.. yum!)


We saw this cute little guy right on the side of the road by our car!
They were SOOO Proud of themselves for getting up here to Balanced Rock with their bad Knee's and all!

see Bessie in this picture?
 Our reservation for the COG was for 4:00 o'clock up Pikes Peak. It was the nicest weather up their I had experienced yet.

on the COG on the way up!
A reservoir on the way up!
Behind the Visitor's Center there is this sign! I was always too cold to venture that far!! So that was fun to get a different picture with them than with everyone else!
At the Summit with the COG in the background
On the way down we got to see this gorgeous promise from God!
On the way home we stopped in for Bessie and Kathy's first experience at Chick-fil-A.

Day 3:

I'm so excited that they got to be here for 2 Sunday's and experience our Church twice!

We went to Subway after church and took off to Red Rocks. I promised Bessie I would get this picture of her not realizing how hard it was going to be to get those ladies to the top of the amphitheater. Turns out there is a road that takes you right to the top and I got that picture!!!

A lot of locals use the amphitheater as a work out facility! Nick rand the whole thing that day!
So Bessie and Kathy thought they should exercise too! They were laying back and lifting their legs up and down! Hilarious.... I have video to prove it.
 
These gorgeous beauties caught my attention while we were there!
 


We spent the rest of the day cooling off in the apartment, catching up on Laundry, and starting to work on a  Photo Book of their trip. I also made them my famous Iced Coffee!!!


Day 4:
Monday was our Boulder day... morning really... we got an early start and went to the Celestial Seasonings factory. The whole factory was making tea this time! It was a great activity to take them on and they bought a crazy amount of stuff at the gift shop.



I also took them up a road that we could see from all our Flat Iron hikes that we thought might have a great view. We didn't time to get all the way to the top but we found a really cool amphitheater and a pavilion of sorts. It was a fun adventure to a new place for me! 






Then I had to be at Joanns for orientation from 4-10, and it SUCKED. I hated it and was in tears almost the whole time....

Day 5:
Tuesday: In the morning we went to the Littleton Museum which is a completely free museum all about farm life in Littleton in the 1830's and the 1860's. Totally cool!



at the entrance to the museum


Bessie in the 1830's school house
Brittney in the 1830's school house
Kathy in the 1830's school house




in the 1830's home
the 1830's home



There were all kinds of real animals on the farms!

in the 1860's home.... its amazing what 30 years can do!

1860's home! trains could bring stuff faster so homes were more decorated and advanced than when everything was ttransported via covered wagon.

I asked my mom and dad separately what is one thing they would recommend I take the Aunts to and they both said Cheesecake Factory, so there I went for the 3rd time this summer! I'm not complaining!! We shared 4 appetizers and all got cheesecake. We shared their AMAZING Mushrooms, mom's favourite Avacado Egg Rolls, and tried 2 new ones that we wouldn't order again... they were ok but not as fantastic as the a-for-mentioned 2.

This time I got the Hersey Chocolate Cheesecake one.... I don't remember what they got... Bessie - please remind me... Reece's?






Twas a wonderful girls night!!!
Paying for Parking near the 16th Street Mall - I scored an amazing spot!

This is on 16th Street

on the 16th Street Mall

I finally rode the 16th Street Mall bus- like 2 blocks but who cares!!!

Day 6:
Wednesday: I had an interview for another job that was full time, but temporary, 9-5 and $12/hr  (instead of $9,  PT, crazy hours) working for a publishing company ran by a guy from my church, and I really thought I would get it therefore I quit Joanns. So I came home and went shopping with Bessie.We went to Burlington coat factory, the mall and Aspen Grove. Before we left, we put a whole Chicken in the crock pot to cook and took off hoping to find some new pants. She scored and got a bathroom shower curtain as well as a skirt and top, jeans and a pair of comfy pants that were $5!

Day 7:
Thursday: I had a previously scheduled Family/Maternity Photo Shoot at Hudson Garden's which was way cooler than I thought it was! The pictures turned out great! Since I didn't have to work at Joann's, we  went to the Aquarium down town Denver and it was SOOOO Cool!

There's Downtown Denver
 


Bessie

Kathy














What's this guy doing at an aquarium?? who cares!! He's soo pretty!

Dorie!
Nemo
Bu Nu..... Bu Nu.... Jaws?


 All 3 of us ladies touched Sting Rays!!

                 (I know we have pictures of Bessie touching them somewhere but I can't find it!)

We stopped in at a grocery store to rent the Kings Speech and bought some more fruit.

Day 8:
Friday: I was at the Chiropractor's Friday and while I was there, they ladies went to Columbine. In the evening we watched We Bought a Zoo. I really like that movie. They thought Mikyla would love it!

Day 9:
Saturday:  RMNP National Park Day! And what a day it was! I promised Kathy animals besides deer and RMNP did not disappoint. 7 weeks on the road and they'd seen birds and deer. We got to see big horned mountain goats right away and a TON of Elk, a whole family and a whole herd that crossed right in front of our car. I thought Kathy was going to invite one cutie right into our car!


This poor guy got caught in someones Christmas Lights

we saw a whole flock of this long horned mountain sheep



gorgeous right?

Kathy spotted this family of Elk and was SOOO excited....


Bessie didn't get out to go see them closer




I have never been here when there weren't 25 other people climbing all over this!

8 weeks on the road together this was bound to happen!


I can NOT believe she came all the way out here!!!


Elevation 11,796


See how close he was to our car!

This is the one Kathy was trying to get in our car!



Down in Estes Park looking for dinner....





 We ate dinner at Subway in Estes Park.

Day 10:
Sunday: We went to Church for the 2nd time while they were here.... I had previously agreed to babysit all day, but the all day think didn't work out so I got to spend more leisurely time with the aunts before and after babysitting for 3 hours. We did more laundry, and I introduced Kathy to my love: Les Mis, and Bessie got to see the 25th Anniversary edition for the first time! It was a good day!

Day 11:
They left Monday morning and Monday at 5:30 Chris Thomas, Nick's roommate all through college arrived for 8 days!..... The boys went to CO Spgs, they hiked the Flat Irons, they played Frisbee and Basketball. Chris took us out to dinner at Old Chicago - their Pizza is SOOO yummy! I'm sure they did more but I wasn't part of most of it so I don't remember it all....




Done... this may be the longest post ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment