Wednesday, May 4, 2011

www.25.com

Yesterday, I turned 25

I'd like to say that I celebrate my 25th birthday, but as much I look forward to my birthday, there was no celebration. The day came and went with nothing more exciting than the 70 "Happy Birthday's" I got on my Facebook wall.

I was laying in bed, tears streaming down my cheeks, after a day of being grumpy for who knows why....when I realized that it's over... the day I look so forward to for 363 days of the year - is over and this is how the day turned out:

I took half the day off of work so that I wasn't spending my 25th birthday working 10 hours then coming home and waiting til 11pm to see my husband. But even then, we spent the morning worrying about our finances so much that we didn't even get each other anything for our birthdays. (We're paying for computer repairs, dental work and new glasses instead). How much does that suck! Nick's birthday is Friday and I don't have anything for him either. 

I don't have any pictures to commemorate my 25th, because there was nothing to take pictures of.
I called home and there were lots of people at my house because we have family visiting from B.C and they sang happy birthday to me, but it's just not the same as having family and friends in the same room as you.

I know I should be over joyed with the 2 cards I got in the mail, and that I know 70 people who like me enough to write on my wall, but 55 of those people are barely acquaintances anymore. Some of them, I wonder if we've even actually had a real conversation.... I should be over joyed with the beautiful harmony that sounded through the phone lines, under the water and into another country. I should be excited that a friend posted a video of a talking beaver on a highway in Canada on my facebook wall, or that I got a few texts throughout the day from my a few friends and relatives. I will always love the voice mail my favourite, 4-almost 5 year old left on my phone!

But I used to open a bunch of presents, eat rainbow bit cake, get flowers, have a party and go to events like "Porchfest". I used to see friends on my birthday, I used to care what I wore on my birthday because I wanted to feel special. I guess college ruined birthday's for me! I grew up only having a party on special birthdays, like 13, 16, 18 - but we almost always had a family get together anyways. Once I was in college, I lived with my friends, so it didn't matter what day of the week your birthday fell on, someone at least put up meager decorations; streamers or a homemade sign and usually someone made a cake.

There's only 2 of us now and Nick doesn't even like my favourite cake, and we couldn't eat a whole cake ourselves anyway. I tried to plan myself a party, as conceited as that may sound, but I feel like 25 is a big deal... I wanted to see my friends and family. I even had a guest list made and invitations designed, but things just kept getting booked the 2 weekends surrounding our birthdays that I realized it just wasn't going to work out, so I gave up. I was already asking a lot when I asked for the 2 weekends off, so I couldn't ask for a 3rd weekend because that's not fair to the people who have to cover my shifts. Also with the price of gas as high as it is, I just can't be traveling much more, and don't want to ask others to drive far either.

Maybe next year things will be different.


Any idea's of cheap things I could get Nick so he has something to open from me on his birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment