Sunday, January 29, 2012

www.soMuch2doNeverEnoughTime2Blog.com

Ok, so there is just not enough time in the day to get everything done that I want to and still blog about it. Especially since Nick's favourite downtime is watching "That 70's Show" on Netflix on MY computer.

A week has gone by already. Monday was Nick's 1st day of class.

Not a great picture, but his 1st day of class picture!
He had 3 classes and I looked at it as my last day to get stuff done before I started work on Tuesday. I basically spent the whole day with my sewing machine. While Nick was getting his study on, I was making curtains and covering pillows.  I also drove to "work" just so I could get a feel for where I had to go the next morning. On the way home I stopped in at the grocery store to picked up a few groceries and wood for our fireplace.

Top- before and after of pillow's that came with the couch
bottom - the valance I made to match the curtains with the matching pillow's I re-covered.
I started work on Tuesday, working at my "home" store, in Aurora CO. It's about a 30-35 minute drive from our apartment, and I'll be working there Tuesday - 9-5:30, Thursday - 10:30-7 and Friday - 9-5:30. I work with Patty the Pharmacist on Tuesdays, and the other 2 days I work with the Pharmacy manager Ngozi.

On Monday's and Wednesday's I work at one of the Denver Sam's clubs, working with Sanu. That store needs a lot of help as they're script count is really low. My first day there, one of the other tech's almost got fired for poor work ethic. It was scary... Sanu didn't know if she was going to be working alone after I left that day or not.

While I was in Aurora on Monday I found a floor lamp on sale at Home Depot that I thought would go great in the bedroom, allowing us to bring the other floor lamp out into the living room to make it brighter, but I didn't buy it. I told Nick about it and he was like, why didn't you get it? So I stopped in at 2 different Home Depot's (Denver and Littleton) and neither of them carried it, so I ended up buying it on Thursday when I went back to Aurora.

Friday night the bracket arrived that we ordered online to put our TV up on the wall above the fireplace. It took me several hours to put it together, but the final result is rewarding! It's soo nice to have the TV up off the floor! Nick helped up it up towards the end of my bracket journey.


While I was in Aurora Monday I also bought the paint for the bedroom. I'd had a plan for a month or 2 and by golly I was going to do it, no matter that all our furniture was already in the bedroom! Saturday that was my project. It turned out great! Since the smell of the fumes were strong we slept on the pull out bed couch, because we could. It's definitely a pull out bed, not nearly as comfortable as our normal bed, but I've put as much comfy stuff on it as possible, and we'll let our guest sleep in our bed and Nick and I will take the couch. It's not awful my any means, just not as comfortable as a normal mattress.

Nick's been enjoying his classes so far. He's only had 1 that was kind of boring, but it has 3 different prof's so hopefully the other 2 aren't as boring. He's been enjoying his reading too, however there is a lot of reading. He can't read with any noise, so I'm learning to live in silence, or to hang out in a different room than him with my music on quietly.

Today, my main project was to paint the closet doors. I think they turned out great as well, I still need to do a 2nd coat on them, but not tonight... I'm lazy. and I needed to blog.



Today is our official marriage anniversary. So in honour of that, we did nothing. I opened the box with the picture of the coffee maker on it, because both Nick and I were craving coffee-ee drinks. I don't drink straight coffee, and we didn't have any filters... but I used a strong paper towel, added cocoa to my coffee grounds that I got from a foreign country from someone in college, (I think Emily from the D.R.) that says it's expired, and after the coffee was made I added vanilla syrup, chocolate syrup and milk! It turned out pretty good!

Every time I am in the car, I tell myself I want to blog about what it's like to live here, and drive here.  But now as I'm sitting on my comfy couch next to my reading husband I can't remember what it is I always want to write.... One thing that is cool about driving here is that you can always see the mountains, on my way home from work they're right in front of me.... on my way to work, they're in my rear view mirror. It's hard to keep your eyes on the road sometimes... however a lot of the main intersection lights have camera's that snap a picture of your license plate if you run a red..... so you have to pay attention... not that I'm in the habit of running reds. I'm almost and soon-to-be a big city driver.... look out small towns, when I come back to you.

When I drive to work sometimes I'm on 8-10 lane highway's... pretty crazy stuff!

left, my view's on the way to or from work
right - the view of coming home...
(our apt. is the red door on the bottom, our patio on the right)
close up door is the one inside the main door.
We've gone for a walk together about every other day, the weather has been so nice here, I don't think I've even worn my winter coat once yet. Today while we were out for a 2 hour walk along this trail that is really close to our apartment, we were just amazed at the amount of people out side. People here are all into their exercise. Cycling is huge here, there was almost a constant stream of bikers passing us as we quick-walked, a lot of them sponsored, wearing very fancy biking gear with bikes that have rear-view mirror's on them! There were a ton of joggers too, all wearing those tight stretchy pants. I kind of want a pair... I was wearing jeans and boy was that the wrong choice..... at least I was wearing proper shoes.

I'm remembering more as I go.

We've been here almost 2 weeks now, and I really feel like we've got a good handle on where most things are. Our road is Federal, if you go left and turn onto Belleview that get's us to a lot of places, and is also the way I go to go to both jobs. From their you can turn on to Santa Fe, which is a big road, and the road that Nick's seminary is on, but he goes right on Federal and then Left onto Bowles, then right onto Santa Fe. Further down on both Belleview and Bowles, past Santa Fe, is Boardwalk - lots of good stuff on that road too. However I think the road we like best is when you turn right onto Bowles and go down to Wadsworth Rd. It is our new "Carpenter Rd" and I think even cooler than Carpenter.  To be honest, I haven't looked into where the hotels are yet though.

Downtown Littleton is pretty cute. I've only driven through it twice, but the 2nd time was at night, and the whole main street is filled with white Christmas Lighted tree's! It's soo sparkly!

Ooh just remembered to write about Church today. We went to a fairly large church this morning that is 9 minutes away. It's called Mission Hills Church. Nick really liked it, at first I didn't think he would because he wanted to get involved in a small church, but there are so many places to get involved with this church. We think the auditorium seats about 1000, and they have 3 modern services and 1 traditional service. It is very theatrical, with their seating and the lighting and the stage with the curtain and stuff. The sermon was great, the pastor, not boring at all. I think we will go back.

3 comments:

  1. Tag, you're it! Just tagged you in a blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you can paint your walls in your apartment complex, let alone your closets! I wish we could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you HAVE been busy. I love your bedroom and you did a nice job with the pillow and curtains. It's funny you mentioned cyclist because I always think of cyclists when i think of denver. I think I heard that they are really into that there and being healthy.

    ReplyDelete