Ok so you all know - money is tight! And when you're the sole provider for a family, you'll do anything to keep the bank balance in the positive.
1. I work an 8-5 MF job - although it's actually 7:30-4:30.
2. Then I have my small photography business on the side. My main clients are seminary students and I don't have set prices, I'd rather them pay me little but have the memories to remember their children at an age when they didn't have a lot of income to splurge on family photo's.
3. Then I was offered a small job at the church running the Coffee Bar, which takes all of 2ish hours during the week and being in the coffee bar on Sunday's when needed. I get paid $250 a month for that ($230 after taxes and such).
4. Then another proposition was offered to me; to be a wedding planner at my church. Now even if I didn't need the money I would have jumped on this offer! It's the beginning of a dream! The other really cool thing about this job is that, as a pastor's wife, wherever we go the skills/resources I acquire here I can take with me to any church!
Last night was my first meeting with a bride and groom. We showed them around the church, where the bridal suite is, the Library, the places to hang out before the ceremony etc.Our responsibilities are helping them with the decisions like the times of wedding/pictures/reception, how people are walking down the aisle etc. Reminding them of things like picking out their music for the bridesmaids to walk down the aisle and the recessional, as well as helping them figure out how they're going to decorate and set up the stage etc. I'll also be in charge of "hiring" a sound man, confirming order of service with the Pastor etc. It's going to be a lot of fun and each wedding is anywhere from $200 - for just a wedding or just a reception to $400 for both.
This couple is adorable, he's from Louisianna, and she wears cow boy boots. He's got a southern drawl and she melts into his arms. He loves suggesting things for the wedding and she's really creative. They're pouring paint down a canvas into an abstract art piece for their home as their "unity candles."
I have a 2nd bride and groom to meet with tomorrow too! They're just having the reception at our church.
Update: ok
Wedding #2 is just the reception at our church. The groom was here at
Christmas for the CCU Choir concert and loved our facility. They're
doing a 10am wedding, and a brunch for their reception. They're having
people enter by
the coffee bar, and right when they come in to the left they're going to
have big coffee percolators with a mocha, a latte, regular coffee and
hot chocolate as well as a table with toppings (whipped cream, cinnamon,
nutmeg, cream, sugar etc). Then the guests
are going to mingle in the coffee bar area at the tables, couches etc.
while the B&G have pictures done. Then they're going downstairs
where the big "gathering place" open into one big room, with a Waffle
Bar set up as well as other brunchy foods like egg casseroles
etc. They're having 250 people!
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago







Congrats on the new gig! That sounds like a dream job! I hope it takes off and you can do it full time :)
ReplyDelete