Friday, November 19, 2010

www.ouch.com

For the past 3 weeks, I have been waking up in intense pain! My lower back wakes me up at about 6-6:30am with enough pain to bring me to tears, and take drugs. I have never experienced pain like such. The intense pain doesn't last all day, just for an hour or so after I wake up. I was putting off the inevitable, hoping that I could spend the money on a hair cut for the holidays instead. Alas, this morning I woke up for the last time without a plan to get it fixed! I spent an hour or so, trying to get comfortable enough to fall back asleep.

As I lay awake this morning, I went through all the options:
  • Do I keep trying to sleep in different positions with a pillow between my knees, or under my feet?
  • Do I just ice it and hope it goes away on it's own?
  • Drugs? Would pain killers hide the problem?
  • Is the pain caused by muscles or bones?
         (you see the pain was so intense and widespread I couldn't tell)
  • These thoughts and more, but I knew what the right answer was.

I needed to have the chiropractor fix it, before it got worse and worse.... So on my way into work this morning, I called and booked myself in for 2 o'clock. I arrived at 1:50 and left at 2:10. Not that you needed to know that, but the conclusion we came to, is that there is no specific moment in time that caused the problem, that my sleep changes might be the problem, but there is no easy solution. (I used to sleep on the couch when Nick worked midnights, but now that he's on days, I sleep in the bed). Mr. Chiropractor adjusted my back from hips to neck....and then taped up my back. I have never partook in this practice before, but it's the tape that you see on athletes after a game, it holds into place what changes have been made, as well as it is made to keep inflammation down and a few other things that I can't remember!  I have 2 pieces horizontally across my lower back/hips and 2 vertical pieces on either side of my spine. It's supposed to stay on for 4 days, and will come off on its own.

What kind of question is "on a scale of 1-10 how bad is the pain?" Well unless I've ever experienced pain, how would I know.... my reply was it's the most pain I have ever been in... so I guess that means 10?

That's probably more than you needed to know, but I'm curious to wake up in the morning and see if there is a difference.... not excited.... but curious. However I'm sleeping on the couch tonight as Nick took an overtime midnight shift to help pay for his new computer. Keep you updated if there are changes.

Oh and Happy Birthday to Melvin! She's 25 today!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this! I have the hardest time remembering that your blog doesn't update to the top of my "new posts" list because it's private.

    Thanks for the bday wish! And I'm so sorry you've been in such pain. :( :(

    ReplyDelete