Sunday, March 11, 2012

www.dearGrandpa.com

Dear Grandpa,                                                                              March 11th, 2012

This weekend I built a fort in my living room. I think because I was thinking about Grandma and how much I miss her. It’s been 13 years, and as old as I was when she died, I feel like I should remember her more. I was looking at a picture of her from my 3rd birthday, and the image I have of her in my mind doesn’t match the image in the picture. I remember she was such a strong woman.


I remember that we used to build forts in your living room! They used to be so much cooler than what I built yesterday, they used to have rooms, and each room had a purpose. There was a TV room, and a reading room and many more.... I can’t believe that you put up with that? You had to crawl through the fort just to get to the kitchen! I’m thinking that she probably talked you into letting us (Michael, Jacqi and I) take over the house!  We had so much fun growing up at your place! I remember the bubble gum jar that was always up in the cupboard and the white mints that were always in your pocket! I also remember that Grandma used to make us home made play dough. As grandparent’s, you were the best!!! I had the coolest grandparents! We were so lucky that we had you guys to take care of us before and after school. Thank you for being such a huge part of my childhood memories. 

We learned so much from you two. To this day there are still hymns that take me back to sitting on the floor in the hallway outside your bedrooms listening to hymns on some sort of TV like machine. I remember the songs that grandma used to sing to us. I used to come in and sit in a rocking chair in your room. I think it was a wooden chair. One on one time with you was always special.
I miss the sleepovers on the couch with all the kitchen chairs beside the couch, so we wouldn’t roll off. You took such good care of us. You always made us feel so special, so loved. I know you had a lot of grandkids, but I’m pretty sure we were your favourite! 

Over the years, I forget more and more of those fun years. It saddens me so much. I have loved that my husband has gotten to know you and loves learning from you about war stuff that you love to talk about so much. I love that I got to Skype (video chat) with you a couple weekends ago. 

I hope that one day I live close enough to my parents so that they can spoil my kids as much as you spoiled us. I don’t know if that will ever happen because the world is changing and now that children move away from their home towns.


Love you so much, and miss her so much!

Brittney  

3 comments:

  1. If grandma was here she would tell you that she has ten favourites :)....although that number has since grown. I remember that tv machine too...I wonder what that was? lol Grandma and Grandpa are classic grandparents they leave a lot to live up to.

    ReplyDelete