Sometimes I want to run away.
The past few months especially, I feel as though my world has taken quite a hit. People all around me, in multiple parts of my life have been hit with death-too-soon! If you remember our friend Katie lost her mom to Cancer at 47 years old, Nich Pollak's brother died after going into a diabetic coma, there was a Spring Arbor Student who just didn't wake up the day after Christmas.
A girl from our church who's brother was killed in a car accident nearly 10 years ago was in a car accident 2.5 months ago that she should not have survived because her skull literally was exposing her brain, and after 2.5 months of rehab and getting better, a catastrophic brain bleed on Saturday sent her Home to be with Jesus and her brother.
Then Monday morning I woke up to a text Facebook message informing us that Ben's dad who is packed up and moved to Africa to be a missionary only a couple years ago suddenly, unexpectedly passed away.
You just can't prepare yourself for this kind of too-young-to-leave-the-earth deaths. It's heartbreaking.
As a Christian, it's easier on me knowing that God is in Control, that those who are taken to early are in Heaven now, but my heart just ache's for the rest left on earth who will miss out on those many years with their loved one.
This is one of my favourite quotes of all time, it's from a book I had to read in College:
"Is it dead, Papa?" I was six and could not bring
myself to look at it.
"Yes," I heard him say in a sad and distant way.
"Why did it die?"
"Everything that lives must die."
"Everything?"
"Yes."
"You, too, Papa? And Mama?"
"Yes."
"And me?"
"Yes," he said. Then he added in Yiddish,
"But may it be only after you live a long and good life, my Asher."
I couldn't grasp it. I forced myself to look at the bird.
Everything alive would one day be as still as that bird?
"Why?" I asked.
"That the way [God] made His world, Asher."
"Why?"
"So life would be precious, Asher. Something that is
yours forever is never precious."





I'm so sorry to hear about this. Praying for him and his family. Plus all of you!
ReplyDelete