So I have done nothing but work all week! With Nick and Jennie gone most of the week - even coming home at the end of the night was boring.... Wednesday I had making Jennie's Amish Friend bread to look forward too, but Thursday Nick was coming over.... (It was my only day off). I can't complain though, I'm getting off a good chunk of time for Thanksgiving which is going to be wonderful I can just feel it!!! I got off work at 1 and had nothing planned but hanging out with Nick. Of course football got in the way so I didn't get to see him til 7pm. What a bummer.
So the wonderfulness I refer to in my title, is that MG one of my beloved friends (and a bridesmaid in my wedding) has been through the amazing roller coaster we call getting your first boyfriend this week!! It has been exciting as she shares her feelings, emotions, sleepless nights, and as I have gotten to share with her, encourage her, and be there for her during this time!
Allow me to reminisce of my experience with getting my first boyfriend! (as I did to MG on the fone the other night talking her through some things)
Nick was hanging out with Mel and Kevin a lot due to his friendship with Kevin and Mel's expertise in their Greek class.... thus he hung out in our (Mel and my) room during open hours. I remember the awkwardness of not knowing what to say to each other, I remember realizing that he liked me and this was headed somewhere. I remember when he first started saving me a seat beside him in chapel instead of just sitting in the same row. I remember holding hands between us in chapel - thinking no one saw us (but Mel noticed), then moving on to holding hands as we walked out of chapel.....
I remember how nervous and scared I was. If you remember that time of my life you'll remember that I was soo scared I "broke up" with him before we were even dating!!!! This broke his heart. BAD. and in turn broke my heart to. If was my little brother who helped me realize that I was just scared.
So I spent some hours sitting (clothed) in the handi-cap shower (only private place to think in my dorm) writing out my thoughts. Then I took that paper that I wrote my thoughts on, summarized it and called Nick, met him in the Fireside lounge (a place where if things blew up in my face - wouldn't be an awkward place I'd have to return too often and remember) and took my piece of paper and talked to him. Now being that I had never had a BF before, I didn't know how to talk to boys one-on-one I read from my notes. (How incredibly embarrasing is that!?) But it worked - we walked out of there hand-in-hand to pick up my brother Christmas Gift from M&D!!! (Which I had planned so we would have something to do after the conversation instead of leaving each other awkwardly). From there it got easier - less awkwardness etc. For a long time tho, I would still practice what I was going to say to him, before I would say it! Now the awkwardness is gone and the wonderfullness has arrived!!! Also - I just remembered: my first date ever - I was alone - got ready alone, and left alone!! How sad..... (Mel had class- but she ran to find me before Kevin did to find out how it went/if it was official yet! I love her!)
Yeah MG good luck in the whole process! You're doing great!! I love you!
PS did anyone realize what an awkward word, awkward is? Seriously WKW?
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago




BAHAHAH thanks for mentioning me in your blog. We did go out tonight and it was a ton of fun! definately memorable, thanks for all the advice and prep. wow! so great..Jake likes frogs just like you. you share that.
ReplyDeleteHAHA now we can be friends for sure! He can be your date to my wedding!!
ReplyDeletei ALWAYS say that about "awkward" -- the "wkw" part of that word DEFINITELY makes it awkward!!!
ReplyDeletep.s. will never forget the week of crying when you "broke up" with nick-- so glad that all worked out :o)