Thursday, October 8, 2009

www.Settling.com

Nick and I went to Ann Arbor yesterday to hang with Nich and Jennie. Jennie had called me early in the day asking if we were interested in driving to their house and dropping off the shelves we picked up for them, and pick up her wedding rings, and the game Settlers. Sooo even though that was the complete opposite direction Nick and I began our journey backwards 45 mins to Albion, rummaged through their house, took pictures of the progress on the babies room, (they have amazing family - Grandpa was painting the ceiling when we go there) ...and then turn around and drove the next 1.5hrs to the hospital. We arrived around 3:30ish I think, and soo did Nich's old boss and eventually his sister and brother-in-law. Soo we just hung out. We got to see the babies at 4 after shift change.

I was curious to see Nicks reaction to the babies... he looked at them, but not very indepth. However just being in that room with them can be totally intimidating, and its hard to handle. In the words of Nich Pollak "it feels like I have front row seats to a TV Drama". It just seems surreal. He knew the babies would be tiny, but they're soooo little. I am amazed by Nich and Jennie's love for them though, and that they're managing to have a relationship with these little ones! (calling them "sweetheart" and talking to them)

When we first arrived at the hospital we found Nich - but Jennie was in with the babies. She came out to the waiting room with the biggest smile on her face - it seriously went to her ears!! She was glowing - Brooke had opened her eyes!!!! Ok well here's the meanie part!!! Apparently Jennie told Brooke to go to sleep so daddy wouldn't see her eyes open! As soon as she came out and told him though, he ran in and she hadn't fallen asleep yet so he got to see! Ohh Jennie - way to be funny!!! Even the nurses were excited and couldn't believe she had opened her eyes. The one nurse said she was soo glad that Jennie was the one to make the discovery. It's amazing how much more she seemed like a real person once she opened her eyes! Beautiful!!!!

I gave Jennie a much needed massage for like 45 mins. I got to go see the babies twice - the second time with the camera to take pictures!! See Jennie's blog for more....
Then after the other guests left around 6:30-7ish Nick and I drove the amazing parents to the Ronald McDonald House and went to go pick up dinner (actually Nich Pollak drove my car the block to the RMH cuz he knew where he was going better). My Nick had been looking soo forward to eating at Dairy Queen and we had used our GPS last time to discover there was one not to far away... well when we got there - it was closed and looked like it was only one of those "open in the summer ones" so we ended up getting Burger King. We took our food and shakes back to Ronalds house and played a game of Settlers with Nich & Jennie - they're excited to introduce the game to all their new hospital friends. However the break was great and a lot of fun for all of us. I could tell Jennie was soo excited to play, and had a great time... there was lots of laughter and the game ended the way it usually does.... my Nick kicked tail and I lost miserably. We got home at like 11pm and pretty much after watching our first DVR'd TV Show (Gilmour Girls) went to sleep.
Happy 2 weeks to the babies TODAY!!!! Also Brooklyn is probably having the same heart surgery today that Landon had.... so pray for her!
I am sooo PROUD of Nich and Jennie!!! They are amazing!

1 comment: