![]() |
| View from the Airport! |
We spent the first night at Steph and Randys (or as I like to call them Reph and Standy's). They picked us up at the airport and since we got in at 10:30pm with an hour drive to Nick's parents and their guest bedroom was closer, we stayed there. I was looking forward to spending more time with my sister-in-law, since the last time I saw her she was becoming my sister-in-law. I had only ever stopped in at their house so I was looking forward to spending more time in their home and getting to know them in their own world.
![]() |
| The beautiful In-Law's front yard |
![]() |
| The beautiful In-Law's backyard |
![]() |
| The beautiful In-Law's yard and Rocksy |
Steph made us a yummy breakfast casserole and cinnamon buns as well! Then we headed off to Marshallville, Ohio where we were eventually united together all 6 of us, and headed off to Roberts Funeral Home in Wooster for Marian Lee Messenger's funeral service. Nick's middle name is shared with this Grandma - it is an honour to carry on a name. Death is such a weird thing. You look down at a body, and you can remember so much life, and yet there is a body with no life in it. There isn't a way to understand, so there's no point in me trying to explain it. There were tears. I lost it when Marian's sister reached in and hugged her at the end of the ceremony. Nick thanked the minister for presenting the Gospel at the service and he looked surprised and appreciated. He probably rarely if ever gets that response. Then at the end after we'd gotten a chance to look at her precious lifeless body once more, Nick and Randy hugged each other and that's when Randy finally broke down and cried. He may be a tough 6'5" dude, but he still just lost his Grandma. He tried to hide as soon as the hug ended, but I saw those tears rolling off his cheeks. I don't think I've ever seen those 2 boys hug, maybe at each of their weddings, but never have I seen a hug like that before.
![]() |
| The house. |
We headed over to her house, which had been the home that Marilyn grew up in. There are a lot of memories in that house. I've been sitting at that kitchen table for 6 years enjoying Nick's relationship with his grandma from a front row seat.
![]() |
| The kitchen |
She loved us both, and told us so every time we saw her. It's really hard to believe that it's over. We dropped off all the flowers in the kitchen so they wouldn't freeze in the cars turning it into a greenhouse, before we headed over the the hall that we hold all our family events in. There was all kinds of food, family and twinkie-like chocolate and strawberry cakes from Dutch Country that Grandma used to work at.
After the reception, the immediate family headed back to Grandma's house to divide up the flowers to take home to enjoy for the week. There were sooo many bouquets and planters. We ended up taking home the biggest and brightest,
![]() |
| Funerally Bouquet |
![]() |
| not so funerally! |
.... and 1 other.
There were also 2 engraved patio stones that were sent specifically for Marilyn that she brought home to and has displayed in the living room right now. I later turned the biggest one into 5 other bouquets, so there were flowers all over the house! We watched the video together that the funeral home created out of the pictures, and then just relaxed the rest of the evening.
Friday, was a lazy day. We had Subway for breakfast, then Nick's parents took off for a meeting in Cleveland to pick out counter tops for their bathrooms so Nick and I went to Ming Hing and met up with Ross for lunch. I felt like all we did was eat all weekend. Ross came back to the house and hung out with us until he had to go to work, and then after work Nick went and hung out with him and Anthony until he returned home at 3am. Ross then slept over in the other guest room, shocking Marilyn when he came down the stairs the next morning. I went out for the evening with MomE (play on words Mommy vs. Mom E.verett)! We went to Best Buy and picked out a replacement laptop for the one we had bought her for Christmas that was defective. We went to Oh-Yo's, one of those fancy frozen yogurt places that are on every corner out here, but are just hitting the market in Ohio. Yum! Thanks!!! Then we to Lowe's and looked at paint colours for the bathroom renovations, we were just dreaming at this point - getting idea's. Then we went to the grocery store to get some stuff for Nick to make one of his famous breakfasts the next morning. I spent the rest of the night setting up the laptop so it was ready to use for the 2 computer illiterate owners!
Saturday morning, we didn't end up making breakfast because Nick got home at 3am. I don't remember what or if we ate, I think it was fend for yourself... Then we drove over to Steph and Randy's and together the 6 of us went on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway. We got some pretty pictures and had a fun relaxing afternoon together.
We took a quick jog over to BrandyWine Falls but they were all frozen and not as pretty as they could have been but still neat to see. Steph and Randy had to go to a Alumni dinner/fundraiser that they signed up for, so we went out separate ways for dinner.
![]() |
| Me with part of the frozen falls behind me.... |
We went to The Ranch for a hot pizza dinner! Yum! Then we went over to Grandma's house again. This was most likely the last time Nick will ever get to be in the house, so it was a bit emotional.
Since we live so far away, we had first pick of the goods. Talk about feeling like vultures. Obviously her kids get first pick, and the things that reminded Nick of his grandma aren't the things anybody else would want. For example we came home with a couple decks of cards (he loved to play Euchre with her), a few glasses from her cupboard:
we came home with a wooden duck that sat atop her fridge forever ....
![]() |
| her fridge |
![]() |
| transported to our fridge |
We also have a few things that are going to be stored in Marilyn's basement such as the potato/onion box that his grandpa made,
.....and the ugly plastic white duck that sat in her yard (yeah! *note sarcasm). But I can't deny him any memories. We also "scored" and un-opened bottle of chocolate syrup, regular syrup and a jar of peanut butter! Someone had to eat them right!?! While we were looking around the house Big Randy sat on the couch and watched Princess Bride on the TV. I also took my camera and took pictures of the house because Marilyn and Carol grew up in that house.
![]() |
| Marilyn - picking her nose with her mama - SO STINKIN' PRECIOUS |
![]() |
| Make-up desk built right into the wall by her daddy for little Marilyn... |
Late Saturday night, while Clare and Ross were hanging out, we learned that Steph and Randy had won in a silent auction a trip to Vail, Co! So that'll be fun to see them soon again!
Sunday they came over for breakfast again, Nick made 3 kinds of hash-browns, I made scrambled eggs, big Randy made sausage and bacon and Marilyn facilitated all the breakfast preparations.
Soon after that we were on our way back to Cleveland to fly out with a layover in Nashville, TN. Our flight attendant on the last flight sounded like the giant in Princess Bride.
It was good to take care of my man, and now I'm glad to be getting back into a normal routine of life, since J-term, and the holiday's have prevented that. It'll be good to get back to choir, and the PiM3 group, and Nick in a regular semester etc.





























No comments:
Post a Comment