Thursday, January 31, 2013

www.back2school.com

Today I went back to High School.

It was a very nice school; Front Range Christian School. I was the guest speaker in Mariah's Freshman Social Studies class with  Mr. Sutherland.
How do you fit in and be cool in a class full of I am no dummy, I brought food! Well I brought Tim Horton's Hot Chocolate for all her classmates! They've been studying Canada for 3 weeks now, specifically stereotypes.It was fun for me to go in there and bust some myths and to confirm some of them too.
   
I also taught them how to correctly use the term "Eh" as well as answer their good and stupid questions.


1. The leaf that's on your shirt, are there tree's in Canada with the that kind of leaf on it?
2. Is that the National Anthem on your shirt? Can you sing it for us? (my reply, was I could sing it in french for you..... but I didn't.)

3. Do you like Maple Syrup on your waffles?
4. Do all Canadians love Maple Syrup?

They were shocked when I showed them Milk in a bag, and when I told them how much Canada pays for milk and gas in comparison to the USA. It was hilarious watching them try to guess how to open it. One girl was imagining opening it like a bag of chips, and asked how you closed it after you open it.

I passed around the new really cool Canadian Money, they loved the braille on it. Click here to check out the new plastic money!! and here to read about the money smelling like Maple Syrup!!  I passed around Canadian penny's which I'm sure they've all seen before, but I told them how come Monday, Canada is ceasing to make penny's and going to the rounding up/down system for cash transactions.

Mr. Sutherland recorded the whole class period on his camera, and is planning on showing it to another class this afternoon.

I showed them this:
and asked them if they new what it was.... they said maple syrup? one girl new it started with a "P". I told them they could get it at Burger King and Dairy Queen and almost every fast food restaurant.
and this:
and asked them why I was showing that to them... they had no idea!! They were shocked when I told them Basketball was invented in Canada!

I had way more stuff I could have talked about too! I didn't even come close to running out of material and I talked for their whole class period. I took a shorter lunch hour yesterday, and still have to take 15 mins off my lunch tomorrow to make up for the time I took off to do this!


I just remembered something else about the Canada thing yesterday.. when I showed them the Mountie Beaver.... I asked them if they knew Dudley Do-right?  and then looked at the Teacher and was like - they're too young aren't they..... he nodded his head sadly, made me feel old.


In 2 other totally random thoughts:

Look what Lily did to my computer??
Apparently I like my fruit the same way I like to decorate... brown and green....totally didn't do that on purpose.





No comments:

Post a Comment