Sunday, October 7, 2012

www.my1stTukey.com

Turkey #1 - SUCCESS!!!! The first of many many more!!!

4 days ago it hit me that thanksgiving was only a few days away and that this year I would not be at home. This was my first Thanksgiving away from home. I instantly decided to cook my own Thanksgiving meal. The more I thought about it, I decided to invite the only other (half)Canadian in the State of Colorado that I know.

Tara and Ryan were excited and offered the 17lb turkey that had literally been taking up half of their freezer for several months. It was given to them by someone from church, which is a blessing but it was cramping their freezer storage!

Once we realized how many kinds/how much of food we'd be making, we knew that we couldn't eat it all just the 4 of us, so we invited a few more of the guys from the seminary.

Last night Tara and I went out to buy some groceries for our dinner, and planned who was making what! I used the potatoes, carrots, and corn that I received as a blessing from Manna (a food pantry at a church in Highlands Ranch). Therefore the majority of our meal was a blessing.




There she is! In all her Naked Glory!!
 Tara and I have the same china! We are 2 of very few brides who actually still registered for fine china! I love that I have it and I'm so glad that I had a great opportunity to get it out and use it today!!! I used as much of it as I could and Tara brought over several bowls that she has as well. I also used a real crystal bowl that was a wedding present too!
Used all the fancy China for the first time that I got as wedding/Christmas presents!!!

There she is, all dressed and delicious and juicy! Mmmmm. She was a great bird!
Tara - my half Canadian friend is helping me with the gravy!!!
 
Mmmm the Gravy - the best part of Thanksgiving!

Almost all the food..... there was Salad, Fruit Salad, Cheese and Crackers, Homemade Rolls and Orange/Pineapple Punch!!

My Plate!!! Michael's Carrot recipe was a huge hit tooo!

Tara and Ryan - the Partial Canadians who helped me put this meal together!!
Here are some of the words used to describe this delicious meal:


--------"I didn't fully prepare myself for how awesome this was going to be" - Tyler
--------"This is the best Turkey I've ever had"
--------"The whole meal was the best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had"
--------"You should come teach my family how to make turkey"
--------"I'm sooo proud of you, you did amazing" - Nick!
--------"I don't like leftover turkey sandwiches because Turkey is too dry, but I think I'll totally have one  
              with this turkey"
-------------------etc. I'd say it was a success!!!


I know pride is not a good thing, but I'm pretty proud of my first Turkey turning out juicy and delicious! I've just heard so many horror stories!!!

We split the leftovers but we still have soooo much food and our house smells AMAZING still. (which might be because I'm cooking  bird carcass!) mmm future Chicken Noodle Soup!

1 comment: