But first, let me back up a bit.
Nick had been gone for 4 days. The Youth Group was scheduled to come back around 4 or 5pm. So I figured he'd rush home, have time to jump in the shower, relax a bit before I kicked him out either to the Library or over to Tyler/Spencer's apartments. Well, mid afternoon I got a text saying one of the roads they were planning to take was closed due to an accident. When you're in the mountains you don't just back up and take the next road over, you pretty much have to go around the mountain. Well not quite, but they were thinking they'd be 2 hours later than planned.
My girls were scheduled to show up at 7pm. Nick arrived home at 6:55pm. I felt awful kicking him out, but these girls were already going to be slightly uncomfortable meeting at the apartment of someone they had never met, and getting to know a bunch of other wives that they had only met once, around a month ago already; they didn't need a random boy there.
2 of them had let me know they were going to be a bit late, which was hard because I didn't want to ask the 2 that showed up on time too many of the questions we were going to go over in the whole group... but at the same time, I didn't know anything about them so I had to ask some stuff. 1 of the girls couldn't make it tonight, but she has offered to host our get-together's from now on. She has 5 kids, one of home is a newborn so it makes sense that we meet at her place because if the baby needs her, she'll be right there.
**That mean's I don't have to clean up my apartment every other week, nor does Nick have to be homeless for a night.
Once everyone arrived, and after I offered tea, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, water, jello, and fruit bars - none of which any of them par-took of even though I had it all out nicely displayed and everything.... ??? right???? we got down to business! 3 of them bought the 'new' books I had ($10), and 1 said she'd buy a used copy online. Then I explained how the group works, and they asked when we are done with this one, then what? I was excited that they were already thinking down the road that they wanted to stay together!!! JOY!
Then we took turns answering this first huge question.
Tell us your story.
·
Who was in your family growing up
·
How you met your husband
·
Where/what you’ve been up to till now
·
How you ended up at Seminary
·
One interesting thing about yourself that not
many people know.
This went really well. One girl seemed more shy than the rest and her story was short and sweet, which was great because the girl before her told her "how I met my husband" for like 30 mins! I really like her though and she is pregnant with her first.
I felt like we knew each other well and the girls were bantering back and forth, jumping in with their similar stories. Everyone was done with "their story" answers, so we dove into the next set of questions. I hate to toot my own horn, but this was an excellent exercise. It gave the girls a chance to brag about themselves, as well as be a bit vulnerable. They just picked questions that they had a story to tell about, we didn't answer them all but everyone talked. I didn't really have to facilitate this too much because I had given each girl a copy of these questions and so if there was a lull (it would have been no more than 2 seconds) someone else jumped in with another answer/story. The most popular are starred.
Who thinks they have the:
· worst moment in cooking and what happened****
·
best story behind their name (or your child's
name)
·
best/worst handwriting??***
·
Biggest risk taking story (bungee jumping? Sky diving?
Etc.)
·
Weirdest snack/food combo favourite?*
·
The most ridiculous pair of shoes?
·
Coolest honeymoon?**
The first one left at 9:00 because she had to pick up her husband who was waiting for her at Starbucks, and the last one left at 10:30 because she was excited to be out of her house, and her 4 kids were already asleep so there was no rush to get home!
I think the 2nd night in my group we answered the question "What was life like in 7th Grade?"
I think the 2nd night in my group we answered the question "What was life like in 7th Grade?"
Who has idea's for a 2nd "Get To Know You.... Better" activity?.




sounds like it went super great. Way to go, Britt! and for sure disappointing no one ate anything. That has happened to me before and it can be a bit annoying. The benefit to working with teens--they ALWAYS eat everything I set out. :)
ReplyDelete