Friday, December 27, 2013

www.anotherYearCome&gone.com

Wow, another year has come and gone. The older you get the faster time goes.

I just read this article which inspired this post. It's real. The good and the bad.

With 4 days left of 2013, I'm sad to see this year go, but sooo excited for what 2014 holds for us, but first lets take a look back at the last year.

This was our 2nd full year living in Colorado.  We went to Aspen and Vail.

We didn't have as many visitors this year as we did our first year, but it was a blast to have both of our immediate families together in Vail, CO for a couple days!!! Nick went Skiing in Vail with my brother and his brother. A bunch of us went skating in Vail! Mom and I played Ping Pong at the Seminary. My brother gave my mom a piggy back on top of a mountain! I drove on a SCARY mountain road with my entire family in my little car....


Nick and I got away for a couple days to Aspen. We hiked the most photographed mountains in Colorado! We also climbed up to Hanging Lake! It was a wonderful break from the hardships of everyday life like doing dishes and laundry!

Nick has finished 2 full years of his Master's degree. He has completed 1 semester of being Vice President on Student Council, with 1 to go.I hosted a table at the Student Council Around the World Event. I also have done 1 semester leading a PiM3 small group and one semester on the PiM3 Leadership team, putting on events like the fall brunch, getting to meet and get an autograph from Gail and making sweet advertisements like this!! I also got to the honour of helping the President of the Seminary's wife decorate her Christmas Tree!! Next (school) year since we're only here for 1 semester, we're both going to take smaller rolls within our respective leadership roles.

I am also on the Choir Leadership team this year as the Hospitality person, to be honest - not my favourite role. We both went on the choir retreat again this year even though he's not in choir anymore. I participated in the Christmas Production at church, and even danced ballroom style in a really fun circle skirt! (I haven't blogged about that yet for some reason, maybe I'm waiting for the video to be available online??) I've managed the coffee bar at church now for a whole year - see video. It's a fun place to work, but I've felt trapped there on more than one occasion and don't get to socialize as much as I'd like, but it's a paycheck I can't afford to give up. I also became a wedding coordinator at the church which brings in a couple hundred dollars every once in a while - I've done 5 weddings so far!!


Our cat got out on quite the adventure one day, sniffing everything in her path making it almost to the parking lot- eeekk! She also really enjoys laying outside on the patio in the sun!

The good news is that I have worked all year, barely bringing in enough money for us to live on, but somehow there is always enough money to pay the bills, sometimes thanks to a little extra I've taken out on the loans.We got a new employee at work that has made it more fun for me! He's hilarious!

I still haven't found me a good friend out here yet that is in my age category & in my stage of life, but my friendship with Mariah has grown! It's been fun watching her grow up into a beautiful woman!! We've shopped together, we've gone to the movies, and had sleepovers, and I've seen her sing in Fiddler on the Roof as Hodel and in her Christmas concert. I've been by her side when her life changed dramatically from having her mom all to herself, to moving into a new home far away from where she lived, with a new step-dad and step-sister whom she has grown to love! She even invited me to speak in her class about Canada! I've listened to her and giving the best advice I can with regards to boys who have or haven't cast their attention her way. She also has blessed me in so many ways!

We lost a dear woman, Nicks Grandma passed away in January so we made a quick trip home for her funeral and to spend some good time with the family. We've cried together as we've had 2 close friends loose a mother and a brother.

We switched internet providers and car insurance to save some money. I also talked our apartment into reducing the amount our rent was going up and in total saved us approximately $125 a month in fixed payments!

We've spent time with lots of friends from home. Our friends Joe and Rochelle had a baby, Eric & Rhoda, Ross & Clare came out to visit which happened to be the weekend of Canadian Thanksgiving!!

Nick and I have gone bowling, hiking, made snow angels, pet the puppies at the mall more than onc 5 times, got a public library card, enjoyed Hot Springs, Jumped at Jumpstreet, ate FroYo!, deep-fried cheese, pickles, onions, rice, avocado's and more! We bought cookies from a couple of little girls lemonade stand raising money for cancer. We went on an anniversary scavenger hunt! We went to a Rockies Game. We went to the Bronco's Stadium and got a free tour!! We went to a drive-in movie!! We read books for fun.

We've survived some crazy snow storms with really bad tires, received the gift of new tires to survive more snow storms. We also survived more forest fires, and some intense flooding out here in Colorado!  I survived some migraines. We also have had some cool Hail Storms. We survived the 2nd mass shooting in the area.

We used our tax refund to buy 2 years worth of a gym membership to the 24 hour fitness that's right by our apartment. We've been in good routines of going, and we've been in bad routines of going. We've fought over the scheduling of when to go, and still haven't figured out a good system.


Nick is feeling more and more like a respected youth leader at our church and making a name for himself while having fun at the same time. He has gone on several youth trips; Pagosa Springs, Chicago and Trip Through the Rockies. He's taught a couple Sunday School lessons.  He even had the please of baptizing one of his youth kids!

We both were drafted to be in the Easter Drama production of a Living Last Supper. I also have been in several other pre-sermon skits. I painted pictures, made curtains, made cool art and made 2 awesome pinata's and a bunch of other crafts.

We both got older. Nick turned 26, I turned 27. We also went to a Gala on my birthday!! Oh my brother got older too! I got bangs. My brother also started school again - learning to fly helicoptors!!

Nick switched from a Master of Divinity - Youth & Family Ministry to JUST as Masters in Divinity, which means he doesn't have to take the YFM electives that he thought we a little boring, and instead gets to take extra Hebrew classes which he's loving!! and more interesting theology electives life Demonology. We also found our calling for the future!

I have been skyped in or live streamed to multiple events at home; Easter and a Christmas Cantata's, and 2 weddings. My Grandpa turned 90 and they had a huge party for him!  I got to go home to Canada in July thanks to my wonderful Aunt Steph! I got to see all my family and friends, including the Pollaks, Carrie and Grandpa! Steph and I went to Colasanti's! We had a GIRLS day like we were back in High School! I got to tour my mom's first Habitat House! I taught Hailey to play the violin!

I've struggled with loneliness, and living looking forward instead of enjoying the present. I've learned new truths about God. I've learned truths about myself. My favourite movie came out on DVD!! I made ranch dressing from scratch. I hammered my thumb. I took a class at the seminary.  I did some photo shoots but not as many as last year. But I was asked to be the photographer for the Church's Harvest Fest again as well as as wedding I was the coordinator for asked me for my pictures because she liked the ones I got better than their paid photographer. Nick surprised me with a song in my car.


Nick has written papers. I have edited papers. Nick got to be a groomsman to his 7th groomsman for a total of 10 times being a groomsman! Nick played LOTS of Frisbee. He did a media fast as well as other normal fasts.  He camped out at Chick-fil-A twice winning us lots for FREE meals!!!

We got new cell phones. Mine was stolen.... as was Nicks bike and our mailbox was broken into. Nick got a bolt stuck in his car tire.  My car hit a milestone! We were BLESSED with FREE Car Repairs and photography stuff and even some clothes!

I went to 1 baby shower, 1 wedding shower, 1 wedding in Colorado, 1 wedding in Canada and 1 wedding in Michigan. I've had some crazy dreams. I went to a Hillsong concert at Red Rocks!! I organized a flash mob!! Lots of friends had babies, including Jennie!! Lots of friends got pregnant, including Melissa and Mandy. I struggled with this. I've dreamed of the future to get me through all these pregnancy announcements! I actually went off birth control pills and am using the Fertility Awareness Method now in hopes that when we're ready to have a baby it will happen quickly!!! I also baby sat a cute kid this year which turned into a really fun project!

 I re-kindled a lost friendship.  I slept over at the Pollak's new house!! and we got to see our parents again in Michigan!

We've done a lot of hiking; like Mt. Evans and Mt. Beirstat and the Maroon Bells but we also went to the beach here in this mountain state!! We have had some busy days, and some lazy days!

We spent our 5th American Thanksgiving at Denver Seminary with 3 other boys and our 5th Married Christmas together in Colorado for the 2nd time and are looking forward to Christmas with our Families in 2014 - which is where this post switches directions to looking forward instead of behind. Before I switch directions though I must say how incredibly blessed we've been in 2013 with the things we've seen and done, and the people we've gotten to know and to spend time with. I can only imagine that even though the years go faster, they also grow sweeter too!!!

In 2014 we are looking forward to:
1. Christmas 2013 in Canada and Ohio - better late than never.
2. Sending out resume's for jobs!
3. Getting a job before Graduation!!
4. GRADUATION!!! (December 2014)
5. Moving??
6. Maybe just Maybe getting pregnant?
7. Our 5th Anniversary Trip to the Grand Canyon
8. Nicks mom is coming out for a visit in February!!
9. Everyone coming out for Graduation mid December and maybe Family Christmas in Colorado?
10. My brother graduating and getting a SWEET job flying a Helicopter!


Some of the things I'd love to do before our time here in Denver is done (if God does send us somewhere else for ministry)...

1. Going to Elitch Garden's
2. Going to Water World
3. The Ice Castle in Silverthorne, CO
4. The Sand Dunes
5. Bronco's Game

WOW!!  All of that is Crazy!

1 comment: